Following are some majors Main Points of Constitutional Development in Pakistan from 1946 to 1956:
- The first story of the constitution making starts from 1947 and ends in March 1956.
- To cope with the constitutional crisis, the government of India Act-1935 was adopted with certain necessary amendments.
- The first Constituent Assembly resulted by the general elections-1946 held its first meeting 10th August 1947 at Karachi.
- The Constituent Assembly passed the Objective Resolution in March 1949. It explained the skeleton of the future constitution.
- The Basic Principles Committee was framed to propose the draft constitution.
- Basic Principles Committee appointed various sub-Committees especially sub-Committee on federalism and distribution of powers. Sub-Committee on franchise, sub-Committee on judiciary and sub-Committee on Talimaat-e-Islam.
- First report was presented in the leadership of Liaqat Ali Khan in September, 1950. Main features of the report were parliamentary form of government federal system, bicameral legislature, equal powers of the houses, elected president and prime minister. Urdu as the national language and some and some Islamic provisions. Negative reaction on the report especially on Urdu as the only national language and Liaqat Ali Khan’s decision to hear suggestions from the people but he was assassinated and a new government was formed.
- Second report was presented under the leadership of Khawaja Nazim Ud Din. Features of the report were federal system, parliamentary form of government, bicameral legislature having equal powers and parity between the West and East Pakistan, Muslim head of the state, three lists of powers and a board of Ulema. Negative reaction especially on parity and board of Ulema.
- Nazim Ud Din government was dismissed by the Governor General and Muhammad Ali Bogra was installed as the new Premier.
- Bogra presented a new formula providing for federation, parliamentary system, bicameral legislature with equal representation from both the wings, Urdu and Bengali as the national languages, president and premier from the separate wings, a supreme court and so on. Positive reaction on Bogra’s report but dissolution of the Constituent Assembly.
- A new Constituent Assembly elected by the provinces with Ch. Muhammad Ali as the Prime Minister. His report approved by the legislature and new constitution came into being in March
Advertisement - Scroll down to your content